At Mercy Circle, servers work in restaurant-style dining rooms where residents order from menus. They are responsible for prompt and friendly attention as soon as residents and their guests are seated.
Servers are expected to learn the culinary preferences of residents. All servers are trained to place meal orders and serve them in a gracious and sanitary manner and to clear dishes and cutlery between courses.
After each mealtime, servers are expected to clean their station, refresh linens as needed and set places at each table for the next meal.
The Lead Server works with the dining room director to implement and recommend changes as required.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to
- Serving as a host for all guests in the dining rooms and at catered events
- Creating and maintaining an atmosphere of warmth, personal interest and positive emphasis, as well as a calm environment in the dining rooms
- Maintaining high performance and behavioral expectations for the team, including strict adherence to the dress code
- Ensuring dining rooms are set up with an upscale and professional appearance
- Overseeing completion of closing assignments, ensuring cleanliness of dining rooms and in the serving and kitchen prep areas
- Tracking inventory to ensure supplies are readily available and in stock for meals and events
- Assisting in standardizing methods and procedures and providing necessary training to team members to ensure they fully understand these requirements
- Providing department orientation to new servers and ongoing training, as needed
- Assisting with the coordination of catering functions and special events, including decorating, setup and break down, monitoring of food and beverage stations and staffing
- Performing other duties as assigned or as responsibilities dictate
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of three years of experience in the food or hospitality industry; fine dining experience preferred
- Current Food Handler Certification
- Exceptional customer service
- Demonstrates effective verbal and written communication skills
- Self-starter; highly motivated with high energy level
- Ability to lead and work together with a team
- Possesses a high degree of personal accountability, responsibility and independent decision-making abilities
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products
- Must be able to work flexible hours, weekends and holidays
To be reviewed based on full-time and part-time positions available
All new employees of Mercy Circle must be fully vaccinated before they start their first day of employment.
Mercy Circle is an equal opportunity employer for all candidates without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability or genetics. Mercy Circle is a drug-free workplace. All job candidates undergo background checks before they can start working.
Please contact Careers@MercyCircle.org if you have any questions or would like assistance completing our application process.
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services awards the top ranking—5 stars for its overall rating and 5 stars for quality staffing—to Mercy Circle. This not-for-profit provides the full continuum of care from an independent living lifestyle to skilled nursing care and has a no-entrance-fee policy.
Sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas, Mercy Circle is the only faith-based retirement community on Chicago’s southwest side. Located at 3659 West 99th Street in Chicago, the campus features spacious residences at all levels of care, along with thoughtful amenities, life enrichment programs and social and friendship opportunities.